A permanent (tenure) position of Associate Professor in Modern Iran: History, Society and Politics is available at the Department of Culture Studies and Oriental Languages, University of Oslo.
The holder of the position is expected to initiate and lead research related to historical, social and political developments in Iran in the period after 1900, to supervise PhD and MA candidates, to participate in teaching, exam setting and evaluation at all levels, and to carry out administrative duties in accordance with the needs of the Department. The successful candidate will play a central role in further development of high-quality research and teaching in Middle East Studies at the Department in collaboration with colleagues, and is expected to contribute to the activities at the Department’s Centre for Islamic and Middle East Studies.
– PhD or equivalent academic qualifications with a specialization in the study of modern Iran
– The ability to use oral and written Persian language sources in research and in courses taught at all levels
– Pedagogical skills and a willingness to take active part in academic leadership and administration, see How to document your pedagogical skills
– Personal suitability and motivation for the position
The following qualifications will be taken into account in the assessment of the applicants:
– Academic qualifications and academic production with a focus primarily on the study of modern Iran; with an emphasis on works published within the last 5 years. Originality and innovative thinking are preferred to quantity
– Ability to contribute to the teaching of courses in Persian language
– International peer-reviewed publications
– Potential to contribute to the long-term development of the academic and research environment at the department
– Positive results in external fund raising
– Pedagogical qualifications and ability to inspire students
– Interest, ability and/or experience in management and administration
– Collaborative skills and willingness to initiate joint projects
– Experience with collaboration across established academic disciplines, and ability to build international networks
– Communication and public outreach skills
Candidates with sufficient knowledge of one of the languages of the Middle East (in addition to Persian) to be able to use it in research, may be preferred
In the assessment of the qualified candidates all criteria listed above will be explicitly addressed and assessed. The quality of published academic work, development potential and breadth of intellectual/academic interest will be prioritized in this order.
Applicants who at the time of appointment cannot document basic teaching qualifications will be required to obtain such qualifications within a two year period. The teaching language is normally Norwegian at the bachelor level, while the Master studies programme option in Middle East Studies is conducted in English. On the appointment of a candidate who is not fluent in Norwegian, Swedish or Danish, the appointee will be expected within two years to learn sufficient Norwegian to be able to participate actively in all functions the position may involve.
– salary level 60-68 (NOK 510 100 – 591 400, depending on level of expertise)
the possibility to apply for promotion to full professorship at a later stage
– a professionally stimulating working environment
– pension agreement with Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
– attractive welfare benefits
Applicants must submit the following attachments with the electronic application form, in pdf format:
– Application letter describing qualifications
– Curriculum Vitae
– List of published and unpublished works
– Description of one or more research projects which may be relevant for the Department
– Proposed topics for MA theses (areas in which you feel qualified to supervise MA theses)
– Applicants are asked to describe and exemplify the entire range of qualifications and criteria mentioned in the announcement of the post.
As the first step in the evaluation process, a Selection Committee will assess all applications and invite the most qualified applicants to submit a portfolio of educational certificates and academic works (up to 10 publications, which should not exceed 500 pages in total) for further assessment by an Expert Committee. Applicants who are invited to submit academic works are asked to select three works, published within the last five years, to be considered as more relevant for the position. In longer publications (monographs), applicants may specify the relevant pages. Applicants are also asked to submit a portfolio that documents other qualifications (public outreach, teaching and supervision, and any experience with leadership and administration). The Expert Committee’s assessment shall constitute the basis for the further proceedings by the appointments board.
Finally, the most highly ranked candidates will be invited for an interview and a trial lecture.
Within his/her normal duties, and in accordance with his/her academic competence, the person appointed may also be asked to work outside his/her department. The appointment is made under the condition that the employer may change the subject area and assigned tasks according to the needs of the department.
See also Rules for appointments to Associate Professorships which includes a guide for applicants and evaluation committees.
According to the Freedom of Information Act (Offentleglova) § 25, Chapter 2, demographic information about the applicant may be used in the public list of applicants even if the applicant opts out of the entry in the public application list.
The University of Oslo has an agreement for all employees, aiming to secure rights to research results.
The University of Oslo aims to achieve a balanced gender composition in the workforce and to recruit people with ethnic minority backgrounds.
If you have further questions, please contact:
Head of Department/Professor Bjørn Olav Utvik, mailto:email@example.com
Professor Brynjar Lia, mailto: firstname.lastname@example.org
Senior Executive Officer Evian Nordstrand (questions on electronic application), mailto: email@example.com